Thursday, July 2, 2009

Writing

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Rose in our backyard.)


I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive ... and open to growth. (Madeleine L'Engle in The Art of the Possible by Alexandra Stoddard, p. 239)

The bad moments will pass if I do not blow them up into tragedies. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 26 May)

Are you living fully, fulfilling a higher purpose? Are there things you can change in your life right away to help you live more fully? (Susan Smith Jones, Choose to Live Each Day Fully, Day 186)

One can remain alive ... if one is unafraid of change, insatible in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways. (Edith Wharton in The Art of the Possible by Alexandra Stoddard, p. 225)


  • Last night I watched a very nice hour and a half program on PBS about Garrison Keillor the host of the public radio show, The Prarie Home Companion. His radio show is very interesting because it is performed live in front of an audience. I think they do a show every Saturday night with a dress rehearsal on Friday night. He mentioned the Friday preparation but didn't make it clear just what goes on. I've never read any of his books. I owned copies of a couple of them for awhile. I think I got rid of them to make space for other books.

  • Have you ever thought about what is going on when you write words on paper? It's complicated enough if you are just copying something that someone else wrote. How do the words you see on paper go thorough your eyes to the brain and from the brain to your fingers where the hand and fingers make movements that guide the pen or pencil to make marks on a piece of paper that form words? Add to the process the act of writing down your own thoughts and the whole process is, as we say, mind-boggling. To further compound the wonder of it all ask yourself this question. When I place my hands on a keyboard how does the brain know the my hands should now make different motions to form words?
Mr. Dickie

No comments: