Friday, July 10, 2009

Angela's Ashes


Photo: Aztech New Media


Ultimately my physical and emotional health depends upon my willingness to take care of myself. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 2 July)

Consider in what condition both in body and soul a man should be when he is overtaken by death; and consider the shortness of life, the boundless abyss of time past and future, the feebleness of matter. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, XII, 7)

Living in the moment is more complicated when we're stretched thin and often torn apart. (Alexandra Stoddard, The Art of the Possible, p. 232)

We would do well to remember that if God gave us the priceless gift of health and strength, he gave it that we might use it always in the service of others. (William Barclay, The Gospel of Luke, p. 52)

  • Last night I called my friend, Dave, in Oregon. We had a nice fifty-minute talk. We always find things to talk about.
  • This morning I watched most of an hour show on the Ovation channel. They interviewed Frank McCourt the author of the book "Angela's Ashes." I haven't read the book or see the movie. After the show was over I searched my bookcases until I found my paperback copy of the book. I brought it upstairs and put it on the table with the copy of Garrison Keillor's book, "Lake Wobegon Days." It's my intention to begin reading both of these books soon. I always have more books on hand than I can read.
  • Melva went to her quilting class at the Bowie Senior Center this morning.
Mr. Dickie

No comments: