Saturday, July 18, 2009

Screen Capture


Photo: Mr. Dickie (Screen capture of the "Desktop" screen on my laptop computer. Captured with the program, Cropper.)

... [I]f you listen carefully, you get to hear everything you didn't want to hear in the first place. (Sholom Aleichem in The Promise of a New Day, 19 July)

One of the primary ways to deal with anger is captured in this ancient quote by Epicetus: "If you do not wish to be prone to anger, do not feed the habit; give it nothing which may tend to its increase. At first, keep quiet and count the days when you were not angry: 'I used to be angry every day, then every other day; next, every two, then every three days!' and if you succeed in passing thirty days, sacrifice to the gods in thankgiving." (Found in Choose to Live Each Day Fully by Susan Smith Jones, Day 203)

  • Yesterday I walked for an hour and ten minutes in the neighborhood. I walked on all of the streets. I discovered another vacant house. This one has a notice in the window announcing which bank to call. Seven of the one hundred twenty houses in the development are now vacant. There's also one occupied house with a For Sale sign. That's the only one with an indication of being for sale. Between our house and the corner I counted seven cars without tags.
  • I made a second attempt to get the free screen capture program, Cropper, to work. Through no skill of my own I was able to get the program running from the pop-up menu of the Start button in the lower left tool tray. When the program is available a square box icon with a plus sign in the middle of the box appears in the tool tray on the lower right. All of the "help" information about the program is included within the program itself. Output can go to the clipboard or to file folders. Output can be in five formats: clipboard, JPEG, BMP, PNG or printer. I created four JPEG files and then used them to make a captioned slideshow with Picasa. Using Cropper and Picasa it should be possible to very quickly put together a talk if I want to try giving one at the computer club.
Mr. Dickie

No comments: