Friday, July 3, 2009

Computer Club Meeting


Today, I will not make myself crazy by repeatedly trying solutions that have proven themselves unsuccessful. If something isn't working, I will step back and wait for guidance. (Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go, 28 June)

Both our physical sufferings and periods of depression are part of our life in this world, and we should patiently wait until they are over, or our life is over. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 29 June)

Wisdom comes from learning how to simplify our lives so we regain the balance each of us is seeking. (Alexandra Stoddard, The Art of the Possible, p. 228)

Be content to grow a little each day. If the improvement is the sort of thing which is very slow, do not measure it too often. Do a self-comparison every two weeks, or every six months -- whatever is appropriate. (Lewis F. Presnall in One More Day by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, 20 June)

Yesterday I attended the computer club meeting at the Bowie Senior Center. I went early because I wanted to use one of the two computers in the hallway. I was able to get two half-hour sessions on the computer. I brought along my headset this time because I wanted to be able to test the CDs I made. I'm learning more about how the MicroSoft Media Player works on the center's computers. This version of Media Player is more useful than the one I have at home. I burned five CDs before the meeting. I was able to burn CDA music files on a CD from WMA files I brought on a thumb drive. I was also able to write WMA and MP3 files to a CD without changing the file formats. There's a difference between burning a music CD and writing a music CD. In the evening I tested the CDA CD on my CD player and I tested the WMA/MP3 CD in the Toyota. Everything seemed to work. I left one WMA CD in slot five of the car player for Melva.

They didn't have a speaker for the meeting. When we don't have a speaker the floor is open for questions and answers. I asked how to convert MicroSoft WMF image files to other formats. I'm interested in this because I want to see if I can use some of the clipart on the three CDs I bought at the thrift store with my blogs and Facebook. When I got home I found a program on disk one of the three-disk set that allows me to save the clipart in other formats. I converted a Mexican Maya or Aztec image to a JPEG file. Then I uploaded the image to The Wall on Facebook. It worked.

I had a very productive day at the computer club meeting.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: