Sunday, July 26, 2009

Iyanla Vanzant


Just for today, be aware of what it is in you that triggers toxic emotions. ... Today I am devoted to healing myself of the need to react to the actions of others! (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 25 July)

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do. ... I know why you are in my life and I love you for that reason. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 15 July)

If we continually tell the story without drawing a conclusion, we become the victims of the drama of the pain. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 20 July)

If you know that your life is a journey and if you want to make it to your divine destination, you must learn to travel light! ... Unpack the abrasive attitudes, addictive appetites, belittling burdens, conflicting confusion, and frivolous fears that you have packed away in the crevices of your heart and mind. Pack a tidbit of truth, a capsule of courage, a fistful of faith, and a pocketful of prayer, and be on your way! (Iyanla Vanzant, Faith in the Valley, p. 220)

[If family members and friends] ... choose to stay on the same old beaten path, there is no obligation to march with them. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 14 July)

Today all of the quotes are from the writing of author Iyanla Vanzant. She's one of my favorite authors. I own used copies of many of her books and have read all of them at least once. This year I am reading daily from three of them that I've read before: "Until Today!," "Faith in the Valley," and "Acts of Faith." While I find all of her books helpful the one I'd recommend first is "Until Today!"

******

Yesterday, for $2.00 I bought a four-port USB hub at a yard sale. It looks like some drug company gave it away as a gift. The four ports are arranged in an "X" pattern which allows plenty of room for connecting thumb drives which take up more space. There was one port on my external laptop port that I couldn't use because the space between three of the ports was too little. I was able to connect the new device to that spot. I tested the new hub by plugging in one of my thumb drives. It worked!

During the year I like to buy used books and set them aside for my daily reading program the following year. I'm always looking for those small daily devotional books that Hazelden and some religious book publishers print. Yesterday I had a very good book buying day. Maybe that was a reward for not going to the recent booksale at the library. I bought six hard back books for a dollar each and one trade paperback for ten cents. I estimate that the retail price of the books was $120.00. I bought: "10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace by Dr. Wayne Dyer; Wisdom for the Way by Charles R. Swindoll; His Miracles by unknown writers; Truth for Today by John MacArthur; The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown; Cassell's Latin Dictionary; and The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff.

In the evening I read the first thirty-four pages of "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt. Right now I have in mind several books that I want to read. I know the best way is to just get started. In recent years I have often been reading more than one book at a time. I've found that reading a few pages a day in more than one book works best for me.

I learned more about how Google Sites works. I continued to use the book I have checked out and the online help to familiarize myself with the various options. At this point I'm not trying to post any pages that would create a useful website. Rather, I'm experimenting with how the various components work together. I'm impressed with what's available.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: