Friday, July 4, 2008

Fallen Comrades

Photo: Internet
Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting, that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Reinhold Niebuhr
Today on this Fourth of July I am thinking about two fallen comrades who gave their lives in the military service of this country in Vietnam: Major (Chaplain - Father) Aloysius Paul McGonigal and LTC Burr McBride Willey. Father McGonigal lived in our company officer's quarters in Korea for a short time in 1962-63. I knew LTC Willey at Spanish Language School in Monterey, California and later when we were both stationed in the Panama Canal Zone.

May they rest in peace.

Mr. Dickie


No comments: