Sunday, October 25, 2009

Phone Calls


The purpose of your life is not to do as the majority does, but to live according to the inner law which you understand in yourself. Do not act against your conscience or against the truth. Live like this, and you will fulfill the task of your life. (Marcus Aurelius in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 23 October)

Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was. (Richard L. Evans in One More Day by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, 16 October)

The educated person sins greatly if he continues to behave in a way he knows is wrong. (Anonymous in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 24 September)

******

I'm behind one day in my daily reading. It seems as soon as I catch up I'm willing to slack off the next day. I think today is the 298th day of the year. I need to stay on top of my reading program if I am going to finish all of the books on the last day of the year. I've already set aside two stacks of books that I want to read in 2010.

This morning I had a nice long phone conversation with one of my former co-workers from The Library of Congress. I'm trying to remember to take advantage of the fact that we now have unlimited long distance calling. During the week I called, Jo, my long friend in genealogy. We also keep in touch via Email.

I've been reading some of the accounts about the Vietnam tours of duty written by members of the 1099th Transportation Company (Medium Boat). I'm impressed. I don't think I had much of an idea about what was going on in this unit while I was in Vietnam. I take my hat off to all of the men who served in that unit.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: