Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Amphibian Death Traps


There are good days and bad days and mediocre days. (Food For Thought, 19 October)

Do not be concerned too much with what will happen. Everything which happens will be good and useful for you. (Anonymous in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 21 October)

Changed circumstances can play havoc with our lives. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 16 October)

You must clear your mind in order to think clearly. (REH after Suzanne Somers in 365 Ways to Change Your Life, Day 316)

******

I read an interesting report I found on the Internet, written by the NTSB in 2000, about the seaworthiness of amphibians of World War II (Ducks) and Vietnam Era (LARCs). There are still something less than 300 of them in use. Many are used to give rides to tourists at the various tourist traps such as Branson, MO. Neither vessel was designed to transport people. The old Ducks have eight to twelve inches of freeboard at the stern when loaded. This means that the vessel can be swamped and sink in six or seven minutes if the hull is breached. The report listed the names and locations of the companies that use these vessels to carry tourists. There were recommendations that water-tight bulkheads and additional flotation devices be installed in all vessels. I suppose NTSB didn't have authority to mandate that these safety improvements be made. Please think about this before you let any of your family members take a ride in any of these death traps.

I found the Zip disc with my genealogy GIF image files. I also found some additional free genealogy GIF files on the Internet. I'll use some of them on my genealogy blogs in the days ahead. This morning when I started the computer it ran a check on the Zip disc. I wonder what that was about.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: