Thursday, October 15, 2009

Joan Baez


The root of much griping, depression, and sorrow lies in our failure to remember, claim, and celebrate God's graciousness. (Marilyn E. Thornton in The Upper Room Disciplines - 2006, 27 September)

Make an honest assessment of what behaviors in your life do not match up to your values so you can become aware of how they are affecting you. (Ric Engram, Pace Yourself, 2 October)

Illnesses of the mind are much more dangerous than illnesses of the body. (Marcus Tullius Cicero in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 6 October)

******
Yesterday evening we had rain and the temperature continued to drop. Melva asked me to turn on the furnace for the first time. I alway enjoy this moment because it seems like it takes ten to fifteen minutes to make the cut-over from air conditioning. I'm always anxious until I feel some heat coming from one of the vents.

I worked on updates to the Computer Club website. We are converting the course descriptions to PDF files. I've done all I can. There are two web pages on the Senior Center website that need updates to complete the necessary changes. I'm not certain who to contact. Maybe I'll find that out tomorrow.

In the evening I watched the hour and a half PBS show about Joan Baez on American Masters. I thought it was moving and inspiring. I didn't realize how involved she was in the Civil Rights movement. There were many film clips and stills of times when she was alongside Martin Luther King, Jr. She is a wonderful example to all of us of a person who has lived her beliefs all of her life.

It seems like every time I sign up for some Internet service there is a request to create a profile. I wonder if I have lost track of the number of times I've done this. I know I have a profile on AOL. I'm not certain whether it is an AIM or a Bebo profile. I have another profile associated with my four Google blogs. And there's another Google profile that's part of Gmail and other Google applications that I'm using. Last night I updated the the Google profile associated with the Gmail and other applications. This profile is interesting because it includes a display of photos from my Picasa account and it allows me to create a list of hyperlinks to other webpages. Here's the URL for this profile.

Mr. Dickie's Profile on Google

Mr. Dickie

No comments: