Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It Sounded So Good in the Ad

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Iris in our backyard, Spring 2009)


You have to think about what you say; only then will you feel quiet and kind and filled with love. The more you are irritated, the more excited you become, the more care you must exercise not to sin with your words by abusing others. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 25 May)


  • Yesterday evening and again this morning I received a so-called "courtesy call" from Verizon. Both times the phone connection was bad. With the old phone system that hardly ever happened. Yesterday the conversation was so garbled I immediately became frustrated and angry. Then I realized that the lady who called didn't have the knowledge or power to do anything about any complaint. She gave their "phony" stock apology each time I mentioned something and then wanted to put me on hold. Eventually I got fed up with the process and hung up. This morning the man who called wanted to do the same thing, "phony apology" followed by transfer to a "hold" situation while I waited for someone else to talk to me. I told him to stop with the apologies. He couldn't. He's programmed like a robot to repeat the apology phrase. I told him I was hanging up and I did. I'm resolved to make a list of my issues with FIOS and then either write or call them to deal with them all at once. Nothing's ever easy when you let a business into the house.
Mr. Dickie

No comments: