Thursday, May 7, 2009

70th Birthday


Photo: (Mr. Dickie in front of an azalea bush at his house.)

In the time that is left to me, I'm going to try to take it easy, to relax, to avoid worry, and to be helpful to others. (Alan L. Roeck, Look To This Day, 3 May)

Today is my 70th birthday. I was born on May 7, 1939 at Bryan Memorial Hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska. I'm grateful that I achieved this milestone birthday. My parents, Edward and Ruth, shared much wisdom that has served me well during my lifetime. My educational experiences in Bellevue, Nebraska, Wichita, Kansas and Pittsburg, Kansas were positive because of many good teachers. Melva and I will celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary next month. Our daughter Cyndi has brought great joy to our lives. It was my good fortune to make a living in the military and civilian government working in interesting and challenging jobs that I enjoyed. The military provided the opportunity to learn to speak Spanish which changed the course of my life. And, I survived four surgeries for rather serious health issues. I've had a good life!

Mr. Dickie

No comments: