Friday, May 8, 2009

High-Speed Internet


Mr. Dickie and Cyndi at Grace's Fortune for lunch on Dick's 70th Birthday - 7 May 2009


Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it is impossible for anyone to accomplish. But whatever is possible for another, believe that you, too, are capable of it. (Marcus Aurelius in One Day at a Time, 24 April)

This morning I'm listening to the very nice Jessi Colter CD - The Very Best of - An Outlaw .. A Lady. I checked it out at the Crofton library.

Yesterday I received birthday phone calls from Wanda, my next door neighbor, and from Melva in Panama. Cyndi took me to eat lunch at Grace's in Bowie, MD. I received many birthday messages via Facebook and Email. Thanks to everyone who remembered my "special" 70th birthday. We took some photos with Cyndi's camera while at the restaurant. Before Cyndi left the house we took more photos with my camera. It only took a few minutes to download the photos Cyndi took because she brought along her cable.

The fact that I recently signed up for high-speed Internet access made it possible for Cyndi to stop paying for the AOL service. She signed up in 1996. We both used the same account even though we live in two different locations. While she was here we followed the steps I'd printed out the other day to notify AOL that we no longer will pay for the phone line connection to the service. As we understand the new arrangement we give up "help" service which we almost never used. We can keep the screen names and I will still be able to visit the two genealogy chatrooms. The one called, Family Treehouse, usually operates from 7-8 p.m. EST each night. Lately only about six people show up and they stay for less than an hour. I predict that this chat which has been active ever since I first signed on to AOL will soon be a thing of the past. I remember when the room filled to capacity (47) on many evenings when people thought you could get genealogy help online.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: