Saturday, August 2, 2008

Jim Henson and Kermit



Photos: Mr. Dickie (Jim Henson and Kermit at the University of Maryland, Pholox and Black-eyed Susan our garden)

  • Spirituality doesn't have to imply a particular philosophy or moral code; it simply means that there is a Power greater than ourselves upon which we can come to rely. (Courage to Change, 29 July)
  • Time is like a river of fleeting events, and its current is strong; as soon as something comes into sight, it is swept past us, and something else takes its place, and that too will be swept away. (Marcus Aurelius, in Time to Be Free, 29 July)
  • When we let down our hair too early in the game we are apt to end up with a messed up head. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 29 July)

Today we went for an hour walk in our neighborhood. I forgot to wear my pedometer. There isn't much to look at when we stay at home to walk. Sometimes it seems like a good idea just to avoid getting in one of the cars and placing ourselves in jeopardy for a drive to the park.

Melva drove us to Laurel where we ate lunch at a little Chinese place where we often go during the week to eat the buffet lunch. They don't have the buffet on Saturday. Afterwards we stopped at Target. I was trying to find a headset radio. They didn't have any. I decided to buy the last sports radio that you strap to you arm. I've never had one of those before. I recently broke the two headset radios I'd been using when I walk. Because I usually listen to classical music on the PBS radio station when I walk I don't really need digital tuning. I settled for manual tuning and only paid $10.00 for the radio.

In the evening I copied about 40 photos from the camera card to my computer thumb drive. Then I made the four photo collage that accompanies this blog entry. Melva and I recently made a special trip to the University of Maryland to take the photographs of Jim Henson and Kermit. Mr. Henson was a graduate of the university and he got his start on Washington, DC television.

This week I've been updating my genealogy file about the Henthorn family of Lancashire, England. I remember when I started doing genealogy in about 1987 there was one, very hard to follow, twenty-three page document about this family. After adding the information about the Brierly family which Rev. John Brierly McCall shared on the Internet I can prepare a Register report which will soon be one hundred and twenty pages. Thanks to Reverent McCall for all the work he did and for sharing on the Internet.

Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bill said...

what is the name of the restaurant?