Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mr. Dickie


Photo: Mr. Dickie (Photo of Mr. Dickie when he really was Mr. Dickie.)

  • I chose not to squander my time and energy on things I cannot change. My security is too dear to sacrifice on circumstances beyond my control. (A Time to Be Free, 5 August)
  • You can't open your mind at the same time your fists are clinched. (Mr. Dickie, after Courage to Change, 5 August)
  • No matter how we meet our mate or who makes the introduction, we create ... the relationship we experience. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 6 August)

Yesterday Betty, one of my long time friends on AOL, invited me to join Facebook. While I've heard about it I really don't know anything about the service. I decided to accept the offer and register. The registration process was quite simple. They wanted to know my birthdate, where I graduated from high school and college and where I'd worked. Using that information they presented thumbnail photos of many people I might know already or who were in my the school and work groups. Then I could chose whether to send them a message that I wanted to "be their friend." I was surprised to see that several of our nephews in Panama were already members and that they were waiting for me to join.

This morning I linked to one of my former co-workers at The Library of Congress. So far I wasn't able to upload any photos except the one for my profile. I suppose that's the same issue I have when trying to do some uploads to other blogs and groups using the telephone connection.

I used the close-up setting on my digital camera to capture the image used with today's blog entry. There's a little annoying glare in the upper left hand corner. I think I can do better next time. I own a copy stand with lights. I've never used it. It's up in the attic. I plan to go get it if we have a cool evening sometime soon. I have a hunch that putting a light source on both sides of the copied photograph will eliminate the glare. I thought the shot turned out pretty well considering I held the photo in one hand and the camera in the other.

Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa

No comments: