Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More About Facebook


Photo: Mr. Dickie (Fountain at The Tides, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware)

I have one life and one chance to make it count for something ... I'm free to choose what that something is, and the something I've chosen is my faith. Now, my faith goes beyond theology and religion and requires considerable work and effort. My faith demands -- this is not optional -- my faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference. (Jimmy Carter in Thinking Outside the Church by Jennifer Leigh Selig, Ph.D., p. 264)

Last night I continued to work on trying to find a way around the problem I'm having uploading photos to Facebook. After doing a test with a small photograph of a cross on the top of a white church I realized that the size and resolution of my photos is probably what causes the problem. It's strange that the Facebook software doesn't give feedback when it can't process the uploaded file.

Using AOL Email and it's capability to include one or more photos in the body of the Email I was able to alter the characteristics of a couple of my own photos. There were two settings I could change. First, I could select the option for "fast" uploading. This reduces the resolution of photos sent in Email or uploaded for viewing on the Internet. Second, I could right click on my mouse and select from one of several options to decrease the size of the image. I need to do further tests to determine what option or options work best. By the time I stopped testing last night I was confident that if I'm willing to go through this multi-step process I will be able to upload the photos I want to share. Of course it is disappointing that it's necessary to give up some resolution to do this.

Yesterday morning was quite cool. It's starting to feel like fall. I used the opportunity to go up in our attic to find and bring down my Polaroid copy stand. This is a device that holds a camera when you want to do close-up copy work. I bought it a long time ago and never used it. Because the digital camera can focus, in close-up mode, down to about six inches I decided it's time to set up the copy stand and try it out. I brought down another box that Melva and I wanted and some suitcases and the dog carrier that neither of us thought about. We're working on our clutter issues.

This morning I couldn't post to my Arrow Prayers blog because AOL had problems.

Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa

No comments: