Thursday, August 28, 2008

Copy Stand


Photo: Mr. Dickie (Melva's salvaged quilt which she gave to our friend, Iris)

Many people wait for something to happen or someone to take care of them. But people who end up with ... good ... [results] are the positive ones who are solutions to problems, not problems themselves, who seize the initiative to do whatever is necessary, consistent with correct principles, to get the job done. (Stephen R. Covey, Daily Reflections For Highly Effective People, 22 August)

It is not healthy or productive to remain in a relationship that makes us happy sometimes, sad most of the time. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 18 August)

Yesterday I put my copy stand together. I was pleased when I tested the two photo lights. Both worked. During the afternoon and evening I used the digital camera to copy several 5x7 and 8x10 photographs. I had to review the camera user's guide as I learned the settings I should use on the camera. For example, it's probably a good idea to turn off the "date stamp" option. Also, I needed to turn off the "sleep" option because I couldn't get the photograph I was copying centered in the view finder quick enough. I'm still learning. The camera seems to always give me a "focus" warning whenever I try to copy a black and white or sepia photograph. Maybe I can find something about this topic in the user's manual. At any rate, I'm impressed with the first results.

Perhaps you noticed that the prints used in the quilt blocks in today's photo look "out of date." If you noticed you're right. Melva bought this quilt already pieced together at a yard sale. She added the hearts on the pink blocks and added quilt batting, the back and the border. She used her sewing machine to sew the three layers together.

Our county published "homeowner rules" in both Spanish and English. The county inspector gave me seven copies in Spanish. Yesterday I went for a a two and a half mile walk in the neighborhood. I left the seven copies of the booklets at the houses where I thought they might do the most good. I probably need about seven more if every house where they speak Spanish is going to have one. There are about 120 houses in our neighborhood. Six of the houses are "group" homes. I don't mean occupied by more than one family. I mean operated by some agency that operates "group" homes.

There are quite a few of the other kind of "group" houses. The ones where two or more families are living in the same house. There are so many cars parked on the streets it's now a concern whether emergency vehicles can get to the people in distress on time. Wouldn't it be a "hell" of a note if your house burned down because the firetruck couldn't get to your house because the street was blocked by the cars and trucks of illegal aliens?

How things have changed.

Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa

No comments: