Sunday, August 10, 2008

Life Risks

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Western Maryland Scenic Railroad at Frostburg, Maryland)

Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live. Chained by his certitudes, he is a slave, he's forfeited his freedom. Only the person who risks is truly free. (Leo Buscaglia in Thinking Outside the Church, by Jennifer Leigh Selig, p. 236)

Only a mediocre person is always at his best. (W. Somerset Maugham in Meditations for Parents Who Do Too Much, by Jonathon and Wendy Lazear, 10 August)

I'm still learning about Facebook. I double checked that the HotLinks I installed in my profile "contact" area that point to my genealogy website and my Google blog worked. Two more friends accepted my invitation to be included in my group of Facebook friends. I also tried the option that makes a sketch from the profile photo. It worked but I didn't use the sketch yet. I learned how to "tag" people in photos. This option gathers photos of a person that appear in several albums into one "set" of pointers to the photos. Another option I installed I noticed at in Kim's facebook. This one gathers "related" folks together with captions that explain the relationship.

When I walk by myself I like to listen to music. Sometimes I carry a tape player in a booty bag. Several years ago Cyndi gave me a headset radio that she bought for me at Radio Shack. A while back I had an accident with the radio and broke a tiny wire. I tried to fix the wire but didn't succeed. Yesterday at a yard sale in Bowie, MD I found the same Optimus radio with two batteries. I installed the batteries and the radio worked. I paid $10.00 for it. When I got home I found my instructions on how to set the station buttons and my list of radio stations that I cut out of The Washington Post the other day. Once I reviewed the instructions on how to set the buttons I didn't have any trouble getting the radio ready for my next walk. There are ten FM buttons and five AM buttons. I'm sure I'll get many hours of enjoyment from this yard sale find.

Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa

No comments: