Saturday, March 13, 2010

Genealogy Project


It's easy to become addicted to the adrenaline of conflict and chaos. (Stephen Arterburn and Pam Farrel, Devotions For Women On The Go, 15 January)

It is disappointing to depend on people, for often their help never comes. (Warren W. Wiersbe, Chapter-by-Chapter Bible Commentary, p. 42)

People don't look at what happens to others in the same way as what happens to themselves. (His Miracles, Day 51)

******

I'm trying to find my copy of the 1870 census of Monroe county, Ohio. At some point I must have put it in a cardboard box. Now I can't find the box. It's another message about clutter. I did find several boxes in the shed that contain notebooks that I need to review and clean out. I also discovered a box in the basement with some interesting pages of genealogy information that I copied years ago at The Library of Congress.

Yesterday Facebook sent me a message that my genealogy friend, Susan was a member. I sent her a message to find out if it was really her. She responded. Last night we were going through the step of becoming FB friends. I have no idea how Facebook determined we might know each other. That's a little scary.

I worked on a project yesterday to see if I could extract information about the Atkinson family from my Yoho genealogy file. I created a GEDCOM file from my PAF file. Then I spent a couple of hours editing the GEDCOM before I loaded the data into a new RootsMagic file. There were 773 individuals and 275 marriages in the GEDCOM file. I was able to salvage 769 records and 272 marriages. Once the file was loaded into RootsMagic I was able to produce a Modified Register report of 100 pages. It was interesting to see how many different researchers shared their information with me over the years. I've more or less accepted that the best way to convert from PAF to RootsMagic is by extracting the information from the old file in small pieces.

Mr. Dickie
13/Mar/2010 8:39

No comments: