Saturday, November 7, 2009

Text File Viewers


Perhaps it is time to overturn some of your decisions. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 27 October)

Clean up any emotional messes that have not been dealt with, and make amends to any persons you might have hurt along the way. (Suzanne Somers, 365 Ways to Change Your Life, Day 327)

******

I'm searching for a program that will allow me to quickly view "text" files without opening the file with the application that created it. This would be useful when I want to review genealogy information for possible sharing on the Internet. The program should display the directory structure in one box, the file names in another and the actual text of the file in a third area. I found two programs that I'm testing. Fast Text File Viewer has a nice simple design. I discovered three problems with this program. First, the website of the programmer is no longer working. Second, there is an annoying "nag" box that displays after about every five files viewed (I can live with this and would have to because I probably can't buy a version without the "nag".) And finally, there is a DLL missing message that comes up sometimes. I have a hunch that this happens because I changed the folder and file names when I installed the program. I don't like blanks in folder and file names. The second program I found is called, ClikView. This program is much more powerful. You can view many different file formats and you can view image files. This one is shareware, with a fifteen day trail, it costs $35.00. There's a rather extensive help file.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: