Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday Blog

Only when we forget about ourselves, when we get out of the thoughts of ourselves, can we fruitfully communicate with others, listen to them, and influence them. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 18 February)

Work all the time. Do not think that work is a disaster for you, and do not seek praise or reward for your work. (Marcus Aurelious in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 19 February)

It's taken me all my life to understand that it is not necessary to understand everything. (Rene' Coty in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 383)

A man must learn to endure that patiently which he cannot avoid conveniently. (Michel de Montaigne in The Heart of the Possible by Alexandra Stoddard)
  • I'm having lots of fun reviewing the books I've read in the past few years. I own used copies of most of them. They are stored on bookcases in our basement. At the same time as I'm renewing the books I've read I'm noticing how many good books I own that I still want to read. There are most certainly more books on hand than I can read in my lifetime. I know there are copies of books about the life of Willa Cather, books by Stephen Ambrose, Walden Pond, Anna Karenina and books of the Daily Bible Study Series of William Barclay, et al.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: