Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Stand in the Door!"


Photo: Mr. Dickie (back view of "Stand in the door!" in Omaha, NE)


Many "older" children go through life either secretly or openly hating their parents. They blame them for past abuses, neglect or favoritism and they center their adult life on that hatred, living out the reactive, justifying script that accompanies it. (Stephen R. Covey, The Seven Habits fo Highly Effective People, p. 117)

Most of us are so paralyzed by the trappings of our lives that we wouldn't recognize a miracle if it stared us in the face. (Gene Cotton in The Upper Room Disciplines - 2006, 19 February)

Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world. (Helen Keller in One More Day by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, 18 February)
  • I'm enjoying reviewing the books I've read and posting them to weRead(IRead). The process does remind me of that fact that I lost my book catalog when my laptop computer failed. I still have a backup copy. The problem is I backed up in the DBF file format and I don't have a program on my computers that can read this format. Looking at my book collection in the basement reminds me that I have purchased too many used books. I have so many that I would like to read "sometime."

  • I enjoy each day checking to see who else has joined The Class of '57 group on Facebook. It's a slow process getting folks to join Facebook and then to join the group. Once a classmate has joined the group there's one more step, encouraging them to post to The Wall and to the topics in the Discussion Board. So far I'm the only one who posted to the photo area and to the links area.

  • Yesterday I went for an hour long walk in the neighborhood. I was pleased to see that the county finally removed the porta-potty they place in "the hood" when they were picking up leaves in the fall. After the walk I stayed outside for at least another hour talking to some of the neighbors.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: