Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Windows Live and "Labels"


I will try to overcome my tendency to react to what people say or do. I can't know why they do it, because I cannot understand their inner unhappiness and compulsions, any more than they can understand mine. When I "react," I put the control of my peace of mind in the hands of others. My serenity is under my control, and I will not relinquish it for trivial occurrences. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 15 September)

******

I'm trying to learn more about Windows Live and in particular the part of it called, Skydrive. Apparently Microsoft is willing to provide 25 GB of free space to get us to use this tool. I signed up in July of 2008 and then never used the tool. I'm interested in this because I think it would be a good idea to store some of my files outside of the house.

The other day I installed a "Labels" gadget (widget) in my four Google blogs. Finally I understood how the "labels" that can be assigned to each blog posting can be used. The gadget reads those "labels" and displays a list in a sidebar box. I elected to have my list displayed alphabetically with the number of "label" hits displayed in parentheses. This makes a big improvement in the usefulness of the blog. Visitors can look in the sidebar to see if some topic of interest has been written about. When they find something of interest they can click on that line in the sidebar and a "set" of just those blog entries will be presented for viewing. My genealogy "News" and "Obits" blogs have the most labels. Visit one of them to try this out.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: