Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Don't Want to Know How Computers Work


The solutions rest with me. With the help of my Higher Power, I can adorn my life with comfort, serenity and enjoyment. It does not depend on any other person, and the sooner I accept this fact, the sooner I will be able to face myself realistically. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 15 August)

Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only good for wallowing in it. (Katherine Marshall in Courage to Change, 26 August)

In each of life's learning experiences our job is to get the lesson, and practice what we have learned. (Iyanla Vanzant, Faith in the Valley, p. 259)

By not attempting to realize our dreams, we avert the risks of failure and the possibilities of success. (Food For Thought, 16 August)

******

Bob, one of the computer club members, loaned me two CD drives. The idea was to see if I could determine whether the two drives on my old desktop computer were damaged by a lightning strike many months ago. Over a period of many days I have been swapping the drives in and out, trying to understand how each works or doesn't work. Yesterday I worked on the project for several hours. I finally decided that one of the two drives my friend loaned me worked better than the CD reader I had in the top drive in the computer. I can read a commercial audio CD with his drive and I can read a data CD that I created before the lightning strike. I wasn't able to get the computer to write to a blank CD. That's all right, I'll be way ahead if I can use the drive he gave me to load some programs and to read either data or audio CDs. I suppose I'm easily satisfied. I've always had computer issues. I'm used to it. Anything that works is better than nothing that works.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: