Saturday, September 19, 2009

Google Gmail and Facebook


Few "know-it-alls" are blessed with new insights or information. When you are willing to acknowledge that you don't know, you open yourself to all sorts of information and assistance from life. Not knowing may send you on a search. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 20 August)

Friends borrow your books and set wet glasses on them. (Edwin Robinson in Acts of Faith by Iyanla Vanzant, 19 August)

Today, I will hold on only to my goals and expectations. I will let go of those which give me no joy. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 6 September)

******

When my neighbor, Jim, bought a laptop a while back I suggested that he might want to use Google Gmail for his Email service. Because I'd never used Gmail myself and I thought he might have some questions I also signed up for an account. Now I have at least two Email addresses. For the time being I intend to continue using my AOL Email address as my primary address. Yesterday I learned how to copy my contacts (AOL Address Book) from AOL to Gmail. There were almost 400 entries in the address book. Once I accomplished all of the steps to set up the process on Google it only took a few minutes to complete the process. One neat thing about how Gmail works is you can export the addresses to a file called Gmail.csv. This is a comma delimited file. Once the file was stored on my computer hard drive I clicked on it and the copy of Excel on my desktop computer opened the file. I like the idea of having a backup copy of the addresses.

I posted a message about this project to my Facebook wall. Soon afterwards my friend, Dennis, commented on my posting asking for more information about how to do this. He also is on AOL and has a Gmail account. I wrote an Email message with the steps and sent it off to him. When something like this happens it's a hoot because it proves that using our computers and the Internet to interact works.

Yesterday I posted to Mr. Dickie's blog a piece about Wedding Cake that I put together some time ago. Another friend, a Wichita classmate noticed and commented. She said she was planning to share it with her grandson who is getting married today. BTW the blog is on Google and I have it set up to feed to Facebook.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: