Friday, August 21, 2009

Upsetting Situation

Photo: Aztech New Media (Yosemite, CA)

Cooperate with the flow of life and with life's events. Surrender the urge to control and stop demanding to have things your way. (after Iyanla Vanzant, Faith in the Valley, p. 247)

Today, if I encounter an upsetting situation I will ask myself, "How important is it?" before I react. I may find that it is not important enough to sacrifice my serenity. (Courage to Change, 15 August)

Today I am devoted to knowing that I am getting better and better as I pass through the testing situations in my life! (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 10 August)

******

Yesterday I attended the computer club meeting in Bowie. One of the members described the project to remove the computer lab from the City of Bowie network and attach it to the Comcast Network. This was necessary if the club wanted to continue to offer classes in how to use Email. As part of the project they also moved the WiFi router into the wiring closet in the computer lab. This should improve the response when someone wants to use a wireless computer from the meeting classroom. For the meeting they set up the projector and the center laptop in the meeting room. Everything went well with one exception. No one seemed to know how to make the display appear on the big screen and on the laptop screen at the same time. The laptop screen was blank.

I continue to discover more serious issues with my own laptop computer. I have no idea what happened. The printer is no longer recognized and the Adobe Flash Player disappeared. I was able to install the Flash Player again. This morning I confirmed that the printer won't work and that the driver probably isn't present on the hard drive. When I have problems like this my level of knowledge is quickly exceeded. I'm not happy and I'm stressed out about it.
When I've had this type of problem in the past I often just walked away from the computer, sometimes for months at a time. These disasters remind me just how much control this technology has over our lives. I've asked myself many times, "Is it worth it?"

Mr. Dickie

No comments: