Sunday, August 2, 2009

This is Life


Photo: Corel


I will not resist the impact of a new idea. It may be just the one I've needed without being aware of it. I will make my mind more flexible and receptive to new points of view. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 18 July)

This is life, not a funeral service. Have some fun with it. Enter into it. Participate. Experiment. Take a risk. Be spontaneous. Do not always be so concerned about doing it right, doing the "appropriate" thing. (Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go, 29 July)

I have come to terms with where I am in my life. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 20 July)

It is not always appropriate to reveal my every thought. (Courage to Change, 25 July)

Today, I am devoted to the elimination of all self-abusive, self-negating thoughts and behaviors! (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 27 July)

******

I'm grateful for friends and relatives who take the time to stay in touch by calling or writing an Email message. For many years my mother and her sisters kept a snail mail "round robin" letter going. I always admired them for making this effort to stay in touch with each other. Today we are blessed to have unlimited long distance, free Email and online social networking that allows us to keep in closer touch.

I still don't have a good understanding of graphic images. I know the difference between a JPEG image and a GIF file. What confuses me is that sometimes when I purchased some images on a CD I wasn't able to use them. Once I bought a Kodak CD. I think those images were in the PNG format. I never did get a handle on how I could read them on my computer. Once I displayed a few of the images and later I wasn't able to remember how I did it. Some CDs have images in the WMF format of Microsoft. I've never found that very useful because it seems they can only be viewed in documents prepared with MicroSoft Word. I suppose I need to undertake a project to see if I can find a book at the library on this topic or information on the Internet to help me gain more understanding.

Here's something I find curious. It's very easy for people to make comments about the blog or Facebook postings we make, but they seldom do so. When you post a comment you provide feedback to the writer, letting him or her know that someone is reading what they've written. The comments may open the door to further comments and discussion by others who are reading the postings. That's what makes it interesting to post thoughts on the Internet. What I find curious is how seldom people comment on what their friends and relatives are writing about.

I belong to four "groups" on Facebook. Most group members don't seem to "get the idea" of groups. The group is formed by someone who wants to provide a place where folks with a common interest can communicate. The groups usually start off with several people showing interest for a week or two. When most of the group members fail to comment or post any original thoughts the interest in the group soon wanes and before long, no one is posting.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: