Saturday, August 15, 2009

Computer Club Website

Photo: Aztech New Media

Make it a daily practice to review your character. Review it in relation to your daily life, your loved ones, your friends, and your work. Each day try to see where God wants you to change. Plan how best each fault can be eliminated, each mistake corrected. Comparisons to others will not work. Strive for a better life as your ultimate goal. (Alan L. Roeck, Look To This Day, 13 August)

Man can do much for himself as respects his own improvement, unless self-love so blinds him that he cannot see his own imperfections and weaknesses. (Martha Wilson in One More Day by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, 8 August)

Many of us hide within negative behaviors which become habits. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 8 August)

Make something happen in your life and for your life. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 6 August)

******

The computer club at the Bowie Senior Center provides two Comcast computers which allow visitors to the center access to the Internet. Part of the Comcast package is 1Gb of website space. The computer committee moved the club website from a site where a fee was being paid to the free space that came with the subscription to Comcast. The new website is simple in structure. However, new people needed to get involved with website maintenance to insure that updates would be accomplished in a timely manner. As the project got underway there seemed to be a perception that maintaining the site would be difficult. I had a hunch that there wasn't much to it. Recently I asked some questions and then offered to help. Yesterday, Eric the club member who created the website, called to let me know that the committee wanted me to get involved. I put on my telephone headset and he turned on his speaker phone and we went right to work getting my computer set up. We installed Mozilla Firefox with FTP for the purpose. Everything went smoothly and I think I got the hang of it. My main job will be to post the link to the bi-monthly minutes to the "meetings" page. Barry writes the minutes using Open Office and saves them in a PDF file. I may need to review one of my HTML books if I need to post punctuation to the test in the link.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: