Thursday, March 19, 2009

What Does This Mean to Me?

Of every action ask yourself, "What does this mean to me? Shall I repent of it?" A little time and I am dead, and all is gone. What more do I seek, if what I am now doing is the work of an intelligent and social being, and one who is under same law with God. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, VIII, 2)

Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime and , departing, leave behind us footprints on the sand of time. (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in The Art of the Possible by Alexandra Stoddard, p. 155)

Remember, no one can learn your lessons but you. And the best teacher you will ever have is experience. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 5 March)
  • Yesterday I went for a five-lap walk at Schrom Park. I charged the battery in my Oasis player the night before. I walked for a full hour.
  • After my walk I stopped at the used bookstore in the library. I bought a copy of Daily Guideposts - 1990 for $1.06. Norman Vincent Peale and his wife, Ruth, began publishing these books 32 years ago in 1977. I've been collecting and reading used copies of these books for several years. I'm currently reading a page each day from the 2006 edition. I own copies of every edition except for 1987, 2008 and 2009. I think I have read all of them except for the three I don't have and the 2006 and 1990 editions. I expect, in time, to find used copies of the three I still seek.
  • One of the books I'm reading a page in each day is "Daily Reflections." Often there is a quote from the book "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions." I also bought a copy of the "twelve steps" book yesterday for fifty-three cents. This morning I checked to see if the page numbers listed in the "Daily Reflections" matched the pages in the book I bought. They do.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: