Sunday, November 30, 2008

Get Ready for Computer Disaster

Do you want to limit the scope of the problems you have to deal with? Stop taking inventory of the problems of everyone you meet. Instead, take your own inventory. Then focus on trying to improve yourself. (Mr. Dickie after Courage to Change, 24 November 2008)

People very often do not accept the truth, because they do not like the form in which the truth is presented to them. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 2 May)

... people who are the most happy and the most content have learned not to become angry or resentful about what's not right in their lives or about what's missing in their lives. (Tereas Ann Willis, It's All Good, 20 November)


  • I don't trust electrical appliances, especially personal computers. Everyday we are just one flip of a switch away from disaster. I was reminded this morning when I tried to boot the laptop computer. All I got was a blank "blue" screen. The dreaded "blue" screen monster. After about thirty minutes of trying "this and that" the problem went away. I have enough experience with malfunctioning computers to know the problem didn't go away for good. The prospect of buying a new computer and getting some software loaded and dealing with Windows Vista is daunting. How did we ever let ourselves become married to these machines?
  • Still on the subject of electric toys, I bought a SanDisk, 2GB, Sansa Clip MP3 player. I loaded about one hundred songs on the player and then went for an hour walk yesterday. I noticed that one or two songs didn't seem to load properly. At the end of the day I was still trying to find all of them and delete them from the player.
  • While out walking I confirmed that another house in "the hood" is using a generator. This is the second place where I've seen this happen. This isn't good.
  • Melva and I spent a couple of hours yesterday working in the flower garden getting one section ready for winter. A week or two ago I asked one of the neighbors if he wanted a job helping us. Maybe we couldn't agree on an hourly rate. He never got back to me. Funny how people who don't have work still don't want work when it is offered.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: