Sunday, November 23, 2008

I Saw the Movie

All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone. (Blaise Pascal, in Courage to Change, 1 November)

I do not agree with the popular literature that says self-esteem is primarily a matter of mind-set, of attitude - that you can psyche yourself into peace of mind. Peace of mind comes when your life is in harmony with true principles and values and in no other way. (Stephen R. Covey, Daily Reflections For Highly Effective People, 30 October)

Yesterday afternoon the three of us went to see the new James Bond movie in Bowie, Maryland. I had a hunch that I might not like it. I should have followed my hunch and stayed home. There's basically no plot. The entire movie is a series of chases and fire ball explosions. When a scene didn't have much going on in it they used annoying flashing images to convey a sense of action. And of course the sound track was blaring, to the point of causing deafness, during the entire movie. Sometimes the characters moved from one geographic location to another with no indication how they got from one place to another. I think I could recommend the movie to 13 or 14 year old boys. The rest of us ought to see some other movie or stay home. Maybe I'm just too old to enjoy the kind of movies that are made nowadays.

Mr. Dickie

1 comment:

Spinner said...

Didn't like anyone other than Sean Connery as James Bond, he was the perfect portrayal of the character and for a lot of people the only real James Bond.

The remainder have been varied in quality. Roger Moore wasn't too bad, the rest abysmal.

The level of violence has also increased with each change of actor in the part and a lot of DIN and unnecessary noise which distracts you from the storyline.