Friday, November 14, 2008

Certain Limit



Mr. Dickie at his computer table.

There is a certain limit to the appropriate length of any time in this world. Just as the fruits and vegetables are limited by the seasons of the year, everything should have it's beginning, its life, and its ending, after which it should pass away. Wise people willingly submit to this order. (Marcus Tullius Cicero in A Calendar of Wisdom, by Leo Tolstoy, 3 April)

Yesterday my doctor's office called with the message that the stress test didn't reveal any heart issues. Now it is time to set up the annual follow-up test at the Washington Hospital Center. That one requires many trips to the hospital and takes most of a week.

Yesterday we received a first Email message from Vanessa in Panama. She sent three photographs in a Zip file. I also noticed that Alfonso posted new photos to his Facebook account. We are always grateful for the blessing of the Internet which has enhanced our ability to stay in touch with family and friends.

Melva had to take out the bobbin parts from her new sewing machine when a needle broke. She gave me the challenge of putting the four pieces back into the machine. I didn't see a diagram in the manual. There was an exploded diagram on the door into the place where the pieces belong. It took me about ten minutes to get everything back together. As I get older fixing things I don't understand seems to be more and more difficult. I always feel lucky when I'm able to to do it.

Mr. Dickie
Posted by Picasa

No comments: