Thursday, September 4, 2008

More Facebook


Photo is of murdered Corpus Christi singing star, Selena. It's one of my favorite photographs of her.

Do not become encumbered by petty annoyances. Never respond to emotional upset by more emotional upset. Try to keep calm in all circumstances. Try not to fight back. Call on the grace of God to calm you when you feel like retaliating. Look to God for the inner strength to drop those resentments that drag you down. If you are burdened by annoyances, you will lose your inward peace, and the spirit of God will be shut out. Try to stay serene within. (Alan L. Roeck, Look To This Day, 4 September)


This morning there was a front page article about Facebook in The Washington Post. People who have been using the service to send many messages have been removed for over usage. Some were using the service to organize their reunions. This kind of thing appears to me to be a very good usage of Facebook. Apparently they watch the number of messages sent and if a client is making heavy use of the service this may be grounds for termination.

The other day a Facebook friend sent me the address of a webpage where people are discussing, and objecting to, proposed Facebook changes. Many were saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I also noticed that I'm not able to send a message to one of my Facebook friends. When I try to send a message I get an error message and my connection to Facebook terminates.

As time goes by it's becoming apparent that there's more to using this service than meets the eye. While my experience so far has been favorable I'm beginning to have some doubts about whether some of these annoyances, which seemed petty at first may, over time, prove to be too much trouble.

One other comment about using Facebook. How much fun you can have depends a lot on whether your friends actively use the service. Just joining the service isn't enough. It's not interesting if your friends don't post. I think posting photos, notes, comments and short messages on "the wall" are what it's all about. If friends aren't posting there is no reason to sign on to see what is happening.


Mr. Dickie

Posted by Picasa