Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Busy Day


Be not angry that you cannont make others as you wish [them] to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. (Thomas 'a Kempis in Meditations For Parents Who Do Too Much, Jonathon and Wendy Lazear, 27 August)

If you "forget yourself," others might not forget. (Mr. Dickie, after One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 28 August)

Are you part of the depression parade, marching along behind "Poor Me," "Why Me," and "What's the Use?" (Mr. Dickie, after A Time to Be Free, 28 August)

Labor Day was a "busy day." We went to the Half-Price sale at the local thrift shop. I bought three very nice books with lovely photographs. Then we went to the annual Labor Day event at the Catholic Church near where Melva works in Bowie, Maryland. I like to visit their booksale table. This time I bought eleven books from The Daily Study Bible Series. The first seventeen books in the series were written by William Barclay. They cover the books of the New Testament. Later others wrote books for the Old Testament. These books are quite expensive when you find them on the Internet. So far I've always found copies at yard sales and flea markets. This time the copies I bought, for 45 cents each, came from a church library. They show very little use. Some were duplicates I'll replace my worn copies and pass the older books on to someone else. I think most of the Old Testament books are books I didn't own yet.

In the afternoon we went to visit our daughter, Cyndi. While Melva and Cyndi watched Nadal play tennis I used Cyndi's computer. I tired out her new high speed Internet connection. We couldn't get it to work with my laptop. I used her laptop to make backup copies of photo files from my thumb drive. We are both still learning how to do this. I used four CDs. Maybe if I'd been more careful I could have put more files on each disc.

This morning I used my genealogy program, RootsMagic, to prepare a 90-page PDF report about the Henthorn(e)s of England for my friend, Clive Henthorne of England. I'm so impressed with how easy it is to produce reports using this great program. I also sent a copy to my friend, Ray, in the USA. This report included information about the Brierly family that came from England. Until recently we didn't know that some of this branch had emigrated. I got a big kick out of adding this information to my file. Clive and I were trying to remember how long we have been corresponding. I started contacting other genealogists in 1990. Therefore it might be eighteen years.

Mr. Dickie
Posted by Picasa

No comments: