Thursday, June 19, 2008

Computer Problems

Photo: Corel
  • By now you should have realized you cannot solve the problems in your life. No matter how hard you try, you cannot do it. Want to know why? It is because you think you are in control when you really aren't. There is a divine source, a powerful force, a perfect order that controls everything. When you recognize it, acknowledge it surrender to it, you won't have to struggle to solve problems. There won't be any. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 28 April)
  • Yesterday I brought a spare monitor down from the attic. I used it to set up a Compaq Presario computer that my daughter gave me. The computer is loaded with Windows95 and has a 2GB harddrive and 32MB of memory. The reason I'm interested in this older computer is that I have three databases that I can't use right now because the computer where they were located broke down. I'm going see if I can load Lotus SmartSuite on this free computer. I was using Lotus Approach for my databases and the data was stored in the DBF format. I still have the files that tell Approach how to display the data.
  • The three databases I lost were: 1) my book catalog, 2) my music catalog, and 3) my address file with records of Christmas cards sent and received over a ten year period.
  • Last night I had trouble with the Dell Latitude laptop that I am using to access the Internet. The computer locked up and I wasn't able to turn it off even after I disconnected the cord running to the wall outlet. If I disappear it will be because I no longer have a computer that can access the Internet.

Mr. Dickie


No comments: