Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Thoughts


Photo Credit: Internet (David Austin Rose)

Yesterday I spent some time trying to learn about programs that can be installed on the ScanDisk U3 thumb drives. I found websites that list programs that fall into this class. One of the most intriguing was Open Office Portable. This is the free set of programs that includes word processor, spreadsheet, and presentations, drawing and possibly database. Because I still access the Internet using a telephone line I quickly realized that downloading 220MB of programs to the thumb drive would tie up our telelphone for many hours. Maybe that isn't such a good idea when I don't know whether it will work or not. More research and discussion is needed.

Melva went to quilting class this morning. She's working on making a quilt using blocks that she bought sewn together at a yard sale. Maybe she can get help from the other students. She's ready to pin the three layers together. At the last class session there were too many other projects underway.

This morning I posted to three of the blogs I have on AOL: Arrow Prayers, Website News, and Obits. For the last few days I included a photograph from Corel with the Arrow Prayers posting. The information for the other two was extracted from one of my genealogy files that I now have loaded into the genealogy program, RootsMagic.

At some point AOL moved the information in my Member Profile to their AIM service. The AIM profiles have more options than we had in the old way of doing things. For example, this is another place that photographs can be saved and shared. The profile is also automatically linked to my AOL blogs. When I make a posting a few lines appear on the profile page. I've looked at lots of profiles in the last couple of weeks. Most people either aren't using them at all or they are using a very small subset of the profile capability. Perhaps they are too concerned about privacy issues to get involved.


I discovered that the Blogger has a new feature, Slideshow. To find out how it works I posted some Sunset photos, taken by someone else, on the bottom of my blog page.

This morning I tried several times to include a photograph in this posting. Much to my amazement the photograph quickly uploaded. Then the "Done" button didn't display and my connection to AOL and to the Google Blog was lost. If you see a photograph at the beginning of this post you'll know I finally got it to work. I'm going to post the text before I try again.


Hooray! It worked. Third time's the charm.


Mr. Dickie

No comments: