Friday, June 20, 2008

I Can't Find It!

Melva Henthorn's Daisy Applique Quilt
Photo: Mr. Dickie

  • ... if you go through life with a nasty attitude, no one will want to be around you. (Teresa Ann Willis, It's All Good! 21 April)
  • Yesterday I was reviewing four Corel CDs. I'd installed the Photo House program on my laptop computer. I forgot where the program came from. It took me many minutes to notice that that program was only available from one of the four CDs, the one with Word Perfect Suite 8 on it. It drives me nuts when I have these little memory issues.

    This morning I tried to include a photograph in this blog entry. The phone line connection to the Internet seems to be too slow. I tried twice and thought I never did get the upload completed. Then right in the middle of typing this blog entry the photograph showed up. Go figure!

    I did manage to make postings to my three AOL blogs. I'm trying to post new information to my genealogy website more frequently. Today I posted a descendant chart for the John Clifford Drum family to the Website-News and two obituaries to the Website-Obits. I'm using the RootsMagic program to store my genealogy files on my laptop computer. Using this program makes it very easy to quickly extract information that I want to share.

    If you are a visitor to my genealogy website on AOL I hope you will take a look at the latest addition. I created a Google Group and installed a link to the group on the website homepage. Please consider registering as a member. Then feel free to use the Group to post queries, comments, and questions. You can also share photos and files in sections of the Group.

    I'm still trying to figure out how to keep a blank line between paragraphs. Sometimes I think I have it and then when I save the information I discover that I don't. I think this time I succeeded by accident.

    I'm using the old computer my daughter gave me to play some of my music CDs. I needed a device near the computers that would play CDs. The Sony radio I sometimes used had a bad selector switch. Every once in a while I'd notice that I was only hearing one channel.

    Yesterday I created GEDCOM files for all of the genealogy I have on my laptop. I saved the files on my thumbdrive. As long as I can find the thumbdrive and it doesn't fail I should be able to move the genealogy data to another computer if this laptop fails.

    Using computers is fun when it works and maddening when it doesn't.

    Mr. Dickie

No comments: