Saturday, January 2, 2010

Taking Stock


In the new year, I will live one day at a time. I will make each day one of preparation for better things ahead. I will not dwell on the past or the future, only on the present. I will bury every fear of the future, all thoughts of unkindness and bitterness, all my dislikes, my resentments, my sense of failure, my disappointments in others and in myself, my gloom and my despondency. I will leave all these things buried and go forward, in this new year, into a new life. (Hazelden, Twenty-Four House a Day, 1 January)

******

My daily reading program is off to a good start. The first day requires more time because there is always extra material to read at the front of each book. I have my fingers crossed because I may have selected more books to read than I can handle.

Yesterday I worked on a project to determine whether I could easily gather one hundred twenty-three of my postings to Mr. Dickie's Blog together in one document. I used the program Monkey Merge to create one document with all of the text files I created to upload to my blog. Then I uploaded the new file to Google Docs where I did some edits, added a title page and page numbers. Then I had Google create a 60-page PDF file and download it to my computer. It worked. Maybe I'll use this file to do the printing test I'm planning to do at FedEx Kinko's.

While working on this project I realized it would have been a good idea to include the date in each of the files I created for the blog. It would have been easy to do. I type the blog postings with the program, EditPad Lite. The F5 key inserts a date and time stamp into a document at the cursor position. I'm going to include the date stamp in this posting.

As part of my year-end inventory I thought it would be fun to tally up the number of postings I made to my four Google blogs during the year. Besides posting to the blogs I also shared genealogy information on my Google genealogy "group" and my Google genealogy "site."
  • Mr. Dickie's Blog - 381;
  • Arrow Prayers - 282;
  • Genealogy News - 209;
  • Genealogy Obits - 125;
  • Total Posts - 997;
Mr. Dickie
2/Jan/2010 11:42

1 comment:

Susi's Quarter said...

Dick, the books your going to read, could you tell me the titles of some.
Blessings Susi