Thursday, June 25, 2009

Katy Culp's Retirement Luncheon

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Library of Congress - Jefferson Building, 24 Jun 2009)


Self-searching is the means by which we bring new vision, action, and grace to bear upon the dark and negative side of our natures. (Reflections, 8 June)

Sometimes what we think is so impossible turns out to be possible after all. (K. O'Brien in One More Day by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, 8 June)


The only way to create success or luck is to think, speak and act in ways that support ... [our goals]. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 3 June)


Choice of attention - to pay attention to this and ignore that - is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. In both cases, a man is responsible for his choice and must accept the consequences. (W.H. Auden in Touchstones, 18 June)

I can use ... greater faith to enhance and strengthen the quality of my life. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 18 June)


Perfection is a long way off, but improvement can be made to happen every day. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 18 June)


  • Yesterday I was too busy to write anything in my two active blogs. I spent the day at the Library of Congress attending the retirement luncheon for former co-worker, Katy Culp. We both worked for Dennis Chin for many years. About fifty people attended the meal at the Hunan across the street from the James Madison building. Nancy and Li-jen came from Pennsylvania. Katy's husband and daughters, Beth and Sarah were there. Al Banks, the new Director of ITS, spoke after we ate. Al worked for Dennis Chin as a programmer on the Bill Digest team that I managed. I had a great time visiting with old friends before, during and after the luncheon. Many of the folks I talked with I hadn't seen in several years. It was great to see them and do some catching up. I took the Orange Line of the subway downtown. I arrived home about 5:00 p.m. During the trip to town the subway train made several stops away from the stations. In light of the recent accident on the Red Line those pauses in the trip were rather disconcerting. I'll have to admit I made it a point to not ride in either the first or last cars.
  • I picked up a brochures about the subway SmarTrip card and one about the Library of Congress Credit Union's VISA card. Cyndi loaned me her SmatTip card for the trip. I thought I might need it to pay for parking at the New Carrollton station. I was ready to leave the house when Melva was ready to go to work. At the last minute I decided to ask her to drop me off at the station which is a mile from the house. On the way home in the afternoon I used the SmarTip card. I learned how to transfer money from several old cardboard fare cards to the plastic card and how to add money to the it. I also use the card to pay for my ride home and to pay for the bus ride up the hill from the station to our house. I don't know if I am supposed to return the card to Cyndi and buy one myself.
  • Jim, our neighbor across the street, put a lot of items on his carport yesterday for pickup today by the thrift store. This morning I took several items, left over from Melva's flea market outing, across the street to add them to Jim's contribution. We are both glad we don't have to confront the huge clean-out task that Jim is trying working on
Mr. Dickie.

No comments: