Friday, June 26, 2009

The Best Years


Photo: Mr. Dickie (U.S. Capitol from the Library of Congress, 24 Jun 2009)


Those who give cheerfully give twice - once to others, once to themselves. (Anonymous, in 365 Ways to Change Your Life by Suzanne Somers, p. 141)


No longer talk about the kind of man a good man ought to be, but be one. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, X: 16)

Your parents and grandparents had people they could look up to. (Andrew Frothingham and Tripp Evans, Wake Up and Smell the Coffee, 3 June)


Almost anything you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. (Mohandas Ganhi in Touchstones, 3 June)


With our regular pattern of taking our inventory, praying, and meditating, we are developing a relationship with ourselves which builds characters and maturity. (Touchstones, 21 May)

Perhaps my best years are gone ... but I wouldn't want them back. Not with the fire in me now. (Samuel Beckett in The Art of the Possible by Alexandra Stoddard, p. 228)

  • Yesterday I was able to walk for one hour at Schrom Park. I walked five laps which according to my pedometer is just under four miles.

  • In the afternoon I watched a free "on demand" episode of the Mr. Monk show on the Verizon FIOS. There are no commercials so it takes 47 minutes to watch one show. They make four shows available at a time. I hadn't seen the one I watched. This was the first time I watched anying on demand that lasted for more than a few minutes. Of course they charge a fee for most of the on demand programs. Movies cost $2.99 to $4.99 each. Cyndi told us she has been watching some pay for view movies on her cable service. Most of the video stores in our area are now closed.
Mr. Dickie

No comments: