Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How Much Will This Matter?


I will not attempt to manage or control what is clearly beyond my powers; I will dedicate myself to managing my own life, and only mine. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 23 May)

If another person has an addiction, a problem, a feeling, or a self-defeating behavior, that is their property, not ours. If someone is a martyr, immersed in negativity, controlling, or manipulative, that is their issue not ours. (Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go, 13 May)

We don't have to allow others to make us miserable, and we don't have to make ourselves miserable. (Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go, 10 May)

How much will this matter years from now or even tomorrow? (Colleen Zuck, et al., Daily Word For Healing, p. 133)

I am now receptive to the idea that ... when I get there everyone will not be there. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today! 2 May)
  • Yesterday was a difficult day. Our neighbor, Wanda, had a stroke while home alone. We didn't know there was anything wrong until her son and daughter-in-law arrived from their respective jobs. Wanda had called John and her daughter, Nancy. Melva and I got involved in helping out. I called 911 for an ambulance. They sent a fire truck, and two ambulances. Why do they do that when the caller is clear about what is needed? No wonder the county is broke. Eve wanted us to take her to Doctor's Hospital. We followed the ambulance. John had to take a truck back to work and pick up his car. The hospital was very busy. There were no parking spaces in the lot. Luckily I remembered that there is an emergency lot beside the entrance to the emergency room. We stayed at the hospital until John showed up. As we grow older there are more and more reminders of just how fragile life can be. We should all count our blessings for each day of good health.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: