Sunday, December 7, 2008

What's Next?

  • When you are in company, do not forget what you have found out when you were thinking in solitude; and when you are meditating in solitude, think about what you found out by communicating with other people. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 28 March)
  • It defies the laws of nature for a child to rule an adult, or a fool to guide a wise man. Likewise, it is against the law of nature that a small group of people should be overindulged when a huge, hungry crowd's most basic needs aren't met. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 9 June)
  • Take the time to compare your troubles with your joys. Put it all into perspective. (A Time to Be Free, 20 November)

Last night when I looked at the laptop computer before going to bed I noticed a blue screen with a message about "Kernel Error" that I'd never seen before. Blue screens are never good. This morning I got lucky. I was able to get the computer running again on the first attempt. I have enough experience with computers to know that this kind of problem never goes away, it just gets worse. I've gone through computer malfunctions so many times I've lost count. I'm not certain what I'll do when I can no longer use this computer to access the Internet. The last time it happened I think I let eighteen months pass before I got the laptop computer running. Because of the recent changes made by AOL which reduced their service markedly I'm somewhat inclined to say, "It's time to discontinue paying them for Internet access." Do we really need these machines in our lives?
Last night we got some snow. We could see it on the grass for several hours.
Mr. Dickie

No comments: