Monday, December 29, 2008

Music Players

Wealth reminds me of manure in the field. When it is in a big pile it makes a bad smell. But when it is distributed everywhere across the field, it makes the soil fertile. (Leo Tolstoy, A Calendar of Wisdom, 31 July)

If you are waiting for something to happen before you begin what you want to do, it will never happen. (Iyanla Vanzant, Acts of Faith, 30 November)

I'm still learning about MP3 players. This weekend I decided I wanted to try using the MS Media Player to convert a couple of CDs to Microsoft WMA file format. I discovered that the Media Player creates a new folder for each CD. I converted a Maura O'Connell CD and a Wayne Taylor CD to the WMA format. Then I copied those files to the new Oasis MP3 player. This player can play several different music file types. While I was working on the project the internal battery on the MP3 player ran down. I used the AC adapter that came with the player to bring the battery to a full charge. Having completed this learning process I now know that I don't need a program to convert to MP3 format. I can just use version 9 of the MS Media Player which runs on my laptop to convert any music I'd like to listen to on the Oasis player. Once I copied the two albums to the player I had 87 songs loaded. I probably have at least 200 files in formats that I can load directly onto the player. I wonder how many songs the player can hold. The bubble pack says up to 1000 songs (64 hours) of WMA files and up to 500 songs (32 hours) in the MP3 format. This is probably why it's a good idea to use the WMA format rather than the MP3 format, unless one has a personal preference for the MP3 format. I think it would be pretty cool to have 1000 songs loaded on my personal walk-around jukebox. No wonder the young folks love these toys.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: