Friday, December 4, 2009

Year-End Inventory


As I look back over this year, I will consider calmly my actions and attitudes, just as though I were evaluating the progress of someone else. I will not make it an occasion for guilt and regret. I will blame no one else for anything that happened, for I have learned ... that I am not a judge of others. This day, and the days to come, will be filled with opportunities to make more of myself. (One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, 1 December)

******

The first two Christmas cards arrived yesterday. That always brings home that our Christmas letter hasn't been started and all of the Christmas decorations need to be brought down from the attic.

I used to maintain several Approach databases in the DBF format. During one of my many computer disasters I lost access to this program. It never occurred to me to make paper copies of my music and book catalogs. While I still have backup copies of them in the DBF format I don't have a program installed that can read or update that format. Recently I installed a free copy of a program called CSVed.

CSVed: (http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html)

This, very powerful program, can read text files and display them in a table format, much like the database programs do. The neat thing is you can create the records using any text editor. Described simply, each field of information is separated from the next by a comma delimiter. Yesterday, to test the program, I created an Email address file to store the addresses of former co-workers and new friends at the Computer Club. If you have some information you'd like to store and display in an easy to read format you might want to take a look at his program.

Yesterday I bought a shrink wrapped copy of the CD, Sara Evans - Greatest Hits and a nice copy of the book, "As Bill Sees It" at the thrift store. You never know what you are going to find.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: