Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Truth



When you are living the truth, you offer others hope. When you are living the truth, you cause other people to realize the truth about themselves. When people see the glory, the grace, the peace of your life, they are inspired. (Iyanla Vanzant, Until Today!, 6 December)

Only misconceptions need to be supported by elaborate arguments. Truth can always stand alone. (Anonymous, in A Calendar of Wisdom by Leo Tolstoy, 15 December)

To face the truth may confront a man with a sore and difficult situation; but to refuse to face it confronts him with a tangle out of which there is no escape. (William Barclay, The Gospel of Luke (DSB), p. 244)

******

Yesterday we experienced winds of 30 to 40 miles per hour. Trees fell on cars in some areas of Washington, DC. The house creaked and groan for many hours. There was a noise coming from the back of the house. When I investigated I discovered that three of the storm windows were not in the right position. I wonder why I didn't check them the day I turned off the water to the outside faucets. Shouldn't that be part of getting ready for winter? Melva suggested we go out for a while in the afternoon. Since there was no pressing reason to be outside I declined the invitation. I didn't want to run down the street chasing my hat.

I brought twenty books upstairs. I'm getting ready to start my 2010 reading program on New Year's Day. I'm having trouble deciding which books I want to read. There are too many candidates in the stacks of books I set aside in the basement. I also always select several books from the current year to read again. I'm thinking about that now. I'm certain I'll want to read "Until Today!" by Iyanla Vanzant again. I have been reading that book over and over now for several years.

Mr. Dickie

No comments: