Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Way We Were

Photo: Mr. Dickie (Melva's Christmas Cactus - December 2008)

Negative thinking holds me back, love and positive thinking moves me forward. (Suzanne Somers, 365 Ways to Change Your Life, Day 10)

Waste not the remainder of your life in thoughts about others, except when you are concerned with some unselfish purpose. (Marcus Aurelius - Meditations, III, 4)

I can choose when - and when not - to share some of the dramas in my life. (Sefra Kobrin Pitzele, One More Day, 20 January)
  • In the morning paper there was an article about the firing (I don't like the term, layoff.) of twenty-six employees of the Albritton television station, WJLA. The company also owns the New Channel 8 and some of the on-screen people were shared by both stations. WJLA is the number two rated station in the Washington, DC area.

  • Earlier I read an article that stated that one of the local stations was cutting back the size of the news teams working in the field. I didn't understand how that was going to work. As I understood the cutback the on-camera reporters were to be their own cameraman. Maybe they were supposed to hold their camera phone out at arms length while they talked. I always liked the saying, "No news, is good news." Now it seems that the expression should be changed to "No news, isn't good news."

Mr. Dickie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of newspapers recently letting employees go, due to declining subscriptions and ad revenue.

But TV stations? Seems like they would be pretty stable with their staffing size. Especially in your area of the country.

Maybe they will use headmounts, and you won't ever get to see the reporter, just what he/she is looking at.