Monday, January 19, 2009

Friendship

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24)

You can hardly make a friend in a year, but you can easily offend one in an hour. (Chinese Proverb, in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 285)

You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you. (Dale Carnegie in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 285)

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. (Ralph Waldo Emerson in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Pect, p. 273)

I have no trouble with my enemies. But my goddamn friends ... they are the ones that keep me walking the floor at nights. (Warren G. Harding in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 284)

We make our friends, we make our enemies; but God makes our next-door neighbors. (G.K. Chesterton in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 291)

Friendship will not stand the strain of very much good advice for very long. (Robert Lynd in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 290)

I pretend ivry man is honest, and I believe none iv them ar-re. In that way I keep me friends an' save me money. (Finley Peter Dunne in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 284)

I had only one friend, my dog. My wife was mad at me, and I told her a man ought to have at least two friends. She agreed - and bought me another dog. (Pepper Rodgers in Abounding Grace, M. Scott Peck, p. 293)

Do not save your loving speeches for your friends till they are dead; do not write them on their tombstones; speak them rather now instead. (Anna Cummins in Abounding Grace by M. Scott Peck, p. 272)

No comments: