Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Gift of Life

I will start today to appreciate the gift of life. I will pay close attention to the wonders before me: the beautiful sunrise, the morning symphony of birds singing, the smell of fresh coffee, the touch of my ... [significant other's] skin, the sounds of ... children's voices, the good fortune I have been given, the lessons I have learned, the love I have and continue to experience. I will live each moment as though it were my last, because it might be. (adapted from Suzanne Somers, 365 Ways to Change Your Life, Day 18)

"Busy yourself with but few things," says the philosopher, "if you would be tranquil." "Do what is necessary, and whatever the reason of an animal naturally social requires, and as it requires." For this brings not only the tranquility which comes from doing well, but also that which comes fro doing few things. For most of what we say and do is unnecessary, and if a man leaves them out, he will have more leisure and less trouble. So on every occasion a man should ask himself, "Is this one of the unnecessary things?" Further, a man should leave off not only unnecessary acts, but also unnecessary thoughts, for thus superfluous acts will not follow after. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, IV-24)

No comments: