Friday, January 30, 2009

The Battle Rages On


Photo: Mr. Dickie (Our house after the recent first snow of the winter - January 2009)

We have only to read the newspapers, watch the late-night news, or look around our neighborhoods to see that the battle [between good and evil] continues today. The forces of evil still strive to undermine Christians, still continue to disrupt lives, split congregations [and families], [foment wars among nations] and destroy peace. Rather than moving toward one powerful body of Christ, we find ourselves fractured and splintered into smaller and smaller groups of self-interest and self-righteousness.

Where will it all end? We don't know. All we can do is continue to fight the powers of darkness, oppose evil, stand up for what we know to be true, and hold out against the darkening world around us. The victory will be ours; this we have been promised, but the battle is far from over.(adapted by REH from Patricia Wilson in The Upper Room Disciplines - 2006, 29 January)

  • Yesterday I spent time making additions to my Google blog. I modified the information that appears in the sidebar. I added a photograph of one of our poinsettias, I installed a second slide show of balloon photographs taken by others, and I made a list of "Books I Enjoy Reading." I was prompted to make these changes after reading the chapter on Blogger in a book I checked out of the library.

  • My friend, Susan, in Kentucky, posted twenty-three photographs to a Facebook album. She took the pictures after the recent ice storm at her house. She was without power for 48 hours. What does all this ice have to do with global warming?
Mr. Dickie

No comments: