Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Our Basic Problems

We have not learned that a nation is more powerful when it unites in earnest prayer to God than when its resources are channeled into weapons. ... Weapons by themselves will not keep us safe or solve the world's problems. Our basic problems are spiritual in nature, and only spiritual solutions will solve them. (Billy Graham, Hope For Each Day, 22 March)

******

I'm still trying to understand how a RootsWeb website works. Once I got past the problem of how to gain access the next stumbling block was understanding how the folder (directory) naming conventions work. I was reminded that it's best to use all lowercase letters and to avoid spaces and special characters. Yesterday I renamed some of the folders I created and some of the files within the folders. I also had to move my folders to be subordinate to one called "public_html." Then things started to fall into place and work. I was even able to install a clickable "X" button on the homepage that will take the visitor to an already existing "introductory" page. It's an interesting mental challenge to figure out how this stuff works. I consider myself to be a rank amateur when it comes to HTML. That's why anything I am able to accomplish must be simple, so it can be understood by myself and others. When a website is maintained by volunteers I think it is very important to keep it simple. Otherwise there is a strong possibility that the expert webmaster will drop out and the group will be left with a website that they can't maintain unless they hire professional help. Not a good situation.

Mr. Dickie
22/Mar/2011 7:50

No comments: