Sunday, January 30, 2011

CD Adventure

There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will. (Epictetus in The Book of Choices by Mike Magee, M.D., p. 20)

... a grateful perspective brings happiness and abundance into a person's life. (Andy Andrews, The Noticer, p. 9)

******

Friday I went to the CDepot in College Park to see if I could find some CDs for Lisette to take to her father in Costa Rica. I hadn't stopped in this place in months. Within seconds of coming into the store I seemed to be directed to a shelf on the left wall. The shelf was about three feet wide and seven feet tall. Everything on the shelf was priced at $1.99. Most of the shelves were so full it was difficult to remove a CD in order to view it. Many of the CDs were still in shrink wrap. I selected twenty-two CDs for Pedro. For Melva I selected: John Mellencamp - Dance Naked; Ricky Martin - Sound Loaded; and Annie Lennox - Bare. For myself I selected: John Barry - Faces; Tish Hinojosa - Sign of Truth; Craig Duncan - Smoky Mountain Sunday; Ralph Stanley - Ralph Stanley; Rich O'Brien - Seasons, Roads, and Faces. I also stopped at the Bluegrass trays in the back of the store where I bought more expensive CDs: Bluegrass All Stars - Sixteen Grand Slams From Sugar Hill Records and the two CD-set from Nickel Creek - Reasons Why (The Very Best). All in all I think I "Hit the Jackpot" again.

Yesterday the three of us went via the subway to Capitol Hill to meet Lisette for a late lunch at The Hunan Dynasty. I used my new Senior SmartTrip card for the first time. (From now on I'll receive the senior discount.) Lisette had a cellphone Cyndi loaned her. She used it to call us from the west side of the Capitol. I walked over there to meet her as she came around to the east side of the building. By the time we went up to the restaurant the bussed in patrons had cleared out. We should have received excellent service since there was hardly anyone in the place. All four plates of food and the rice were cold. We sent them back to the kitchen to be heated. We also had to ask for the egg rolls which came with the meals. If we wanted to impress our guest we certainly did, in a negative way.

Today Lisette returns to Costa Rica from National Airport.

This morning I took Cyndi to the New Carrollton subway station where she took the 8:30 a.m. train to Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), near Baltimore. She called a little after 9:00 a.m. to tell me she was on the shuttle bus headed to the terminal. She works this week in San Antonio, TX. She plans to return to BWI on Wednesday and to take the train back to the subway station which is just a mile from the house.

Mr. Dickie
30/Jan/2011 10:02

No comments: